Tessellations made from Real Materials
This section shows some tessellations using actual materials (not digital art nor just flat paper) such as wood, resin, textiles, ceramics, etc. If you have made a tessellation like this we would love to hear from you! Please send us a photo and description of your tessellation. We'll post it on this website, in this gallery. On your page we'll give you proper credit as the art's creator, and links to you if you want. You retain full copyright and ownership. Click below to see the individual projects. The most recent art appears at the top of the list.
- 'Geckos and Butterflies' - very inexpensive laser-carved wood versions of classic M C Escher tessellation art. Made by Danger!Awesome and available at Etsy.com (Escher lizards, butterflies).
- 'Angelfish Interwoven' - long grasses woven together make fish-like toys in Thailand. They also make a pretty good tessellation.
- 'Curly Elephants' - a one-of-a-kind laser-cut wooden puzzle created by tessellation software programmer (and teacher) Kevin Lee of the USA, working from the original "Curlies" Elephant-theme tessellation pattern by Bruce Bilney.
- 'Sidewalk Tessellation Art' - done in chalk by guest artist Negina Kolesar for a chalk art festival
- 'Wooden Sphere' - a carved & stained wooden ball by guest artist Tamas Szegeti
- 'Five Cats, a Dodecahedron' - An easy-to-make 12-sided 3D paper project.
- 'Kitchen floor ceramic tile tessellation' - handmade tiles, handmade molds. Amazing job based on the "Penrose Tiling" pattern
By Billings, Montana's Susan, Dick, and Jim.
- 'Clown Ball' - drawn on cardboard 12-sided sphere made of pentagons
- 'Turtles' - 9 3/4" CLAY PLATE by Laurel Bender
- 'Innovative town planning' by Mazlin Ghazali
- '28 Birds', a basswood bas-relief piece by Phil Allin based on Escher's "Sun and Moon"
- 'Sea and Sky' - Flat pierced bas-relief woodcarving by Seth
- Bas-relief woodcarving by Phil Allin, based on Escher's 'Symmetry Drawing C'
- Wall-hanging in redwood by Phil Allin, based on a portion of Escher's 'Metamorphose II'
- Bas Relief Woodcarving by Phil Allin, based on Escher's @D tessellation "Sky and Water I"
- Lego™ toy plastic brick tessellations by Brendan Powell Smith
- 'Devil Ducks' - plaster ducks by R.S. Newell
- '6 Gold Fish Sphere' - modelled in polymer clay - by Seth
- 'Snuffles' - Yorkshire Terrier painted on hard rubber ball - Doctor David
- 'Woodpeckers' - carved on resin ball - by Doctor David
- 'Raiding the Wine Cellar' - wall hanging by Lesley Hendricks
- 'Cat theme Tessellation carved in a sphere' - Carved ball by Doctor David